While the romanticized version of winter is a beautiful, snowy wonderland, the reality of winter is spending a lot of time being cold! The romanticizing of winter is usually accompanied by a cozy fireplace, and warm nights curled up by the fire with loved ones. The warmth and dazzling glow of a fireplace brings a shimmering glow to even the gloomiest of nights.
As winter’s snows are slowly melting, the memories of chilly evenings are fresh on our minds, so what better time to take a look at the best fireplace options for your home. Once you’ve decided, let Ignite Fireplace, Salt Lake City’s premier fireplace repair service, help maintain your investment. Without further ado, here are the pros and cons of your options.
The beauty and timelessness of a wood-burning fireplace elicit the dreams of curling up to the hearth as is popularized by various books and movies. There’s nothing that compares to the aesthetic of a wood-burning fireplace; It’s a look and experience that most people dream of having. However, a wood-burning fireplace is a lot of work. Stoking a wood-burning fireplace on a regular basis is challenging, as is procuring firewood regularly. You also have to be mindful of creosote accumulation in your flue, which can become flammable. In the end, a wood-burning fireplace is romantic, but not overly efficient.
- Wood-burning fireplaces are beautiful. They create a charming ambience that is enchanting.
- It’s hard to compete with the authenticity of red flames shooting from logs.
- The warmth emitted from natural flames is unparalleled.
- Chimneys need to be inspected regularly for the build-up of soot and creosote, which can be flammable.
- Wood-burning fireplaces don’t efficiently heat homes. A damper can only stop so much of that heat going right back up the chimney.
- You need to have a constant supply of firewood, and the clean-up of firewood is messy and time-consuming
While a wood-burning fireplace is a lot of work to get going, a gas fireplace is a model of simplicity. With the simple flip of a switch, a gas fireplace instantly ignites and emits the glowing warmth you crave on those chilly winter days. Gas fireplaces give off just as much heat as a wood-burning fireplace, without the worry of the inefficiencies of a chimney. As a gas fireplace vents through a PVC pipe in the wall, you also have the luxury of being able to place a gas fireplace wherever you’d like within your home.
- You can light a gas fireplace with the simple flip of a switch.
- The heat from a gas fireplace is emitted immediately.
- All components are enclosed, so there’s very little cleanup or maintenance.
- It doesn’t match the aesthetic of a wood-burning fireplace.
- Repairs can be a little tricky, as they could occur anywhere on the line, or with the pilot light.
- While people may think they are maintenance-free, gas fireplaces still require regular maintenance.
An electric fireplace is a great alternative for someone who wants to have a fireplace that can be treated essentially as an appliance. As an electric fireplace doesn’t produce a live flame, it is a durable solution, although the simulated flames leave something to be desired. Since it runs off of an electrical outlet, it can be moved wherever you’d like within your home. Those simulated flames don’t give off nearly the amount of heat that a gas or wood-burning fireplace do, but an electrical fireplace can still be a practical solution for someone who would prefer to be a little more hands-off.
- There are no worries regarding fumes, creosote, or gas leaks.
- Mobility and cost-efficiency.
- You can plug an electric fireplace into any outlet, and it immediately comes to life.
- An electric fireplace is subject to power outages.
- It doesn’t produce much heat; it’s output is more similar to that of a space heater
- It doesn’t give off a real flame, so there’s little true ambiance.
Choosing a fireplace for your home can be a difficult decision. Once you’ve made your decision, Ignite Fireplace will help bring your choice to life and ensure that your fireplace will provide countless years of worry-free service. We are a locally-owned fireplace repair company that places our focus on delivering a world-class service experience that’s light on your wallet. As the premier Heatilator fireplace repair service in Salt Lake City, we service all types of gas fireplaces with efficiency and professionalism. Our work is not just limited to gas fireplaces. We offer wood-burning and electric repair that is unsurpassed, as well. We service the Salt Lake Valley, as well as the greater metro area, including Utah, Davis, and Summit Counties. Give us a call today for a free quote, and see the Ignite Fireplace difference.